About Simone Mellor-Clark
I’m a professionally trained, qualified, and experienced trauma-informed Psychotherapist - passionate about delivering safe and effective therapy which improves psychological health and builds resilience. Being “trauma-informed” means, I’m aware of the complex impact of trauma on a person's distress and how it shapes their nervous system and efforts to cope.
As a therapist (and as a person) I’m curious, honest, open, kind, respectful, and playful plus a whole load of other things.
I’m committed to helping people develop and enhance their natural skills and abilities to make meaningful changes in their lives. Part of this process is to help people to reflect on what’s happened to them and how these experiences might be continuing to affect them. I focus both on the behaviour someone is wanting to change (e.g., using food, alcohol, over-working) and on the underlying reasons for the behaviour and the relief it provides.
I’ve been seeing clients in private practice since 2009, and since 2006 have worked across many different settings including an NHS Adult Community Mental Health Team and Specialist Counselling Service.
Working as a therapist in different mental health settings has given me extensive experience of treating people of all ages, from all backgrounds, presenting with a wide range of social, emotional, and mental health issues.
Over the years, I’ve trained and gained experience in many different therapeutic approaches and in my clinical work I’ll combine concepts drawn from a range of traditions, theories, and research, such as Transactional Analysis (TA); Mindfulness-based Approaches; Interpersonal Neurobiology; Polyvagal Theory; Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT); Schema Therapy; and Psychoeducation. The Therapeutic Approaches page provides information on the main approaches I use.
The approaches I use are grounded in researched-based interventions and theories and are delivered with care and warmth, in an ethical and professional manner.
To ensure how I’m working with you is helping, I’ll invite you to fill in a questionnaire, so together we can 'track' your progress at regular intervals. Completing the questionnaire takes about three to five minutes and is a bit like taking your temperature. I’ve found the use of questionnaires often generates conversations that might not otherwise happen. They support your active involvement in the therapeutic process and your responses can help me to get the therapy right for you.
I’m committed to professional excellence and life long learning. I regularly participate in training, workshops, and other learning opportunities to advance my clinical skills and stay current with research and scientific advances in the field.
I have 15 years’ experience in the field of mental health, and it was my positive experiences of therapy that led me to change careers at 34 and retrain as a therapist myself.
I began my professional studies with an MSc in Transactional Analysis (TA) Psychotherapy at the Metanoia Institute in London. TA is an integrative approach which combines humanistic, cognitive behavioural (CBT) and psychoanalytic concepts. It’s a collaborative approach that offers a unique way of understanding our personality, behaviours and relationships.
I’ve been fortunate to have been a volunteer and a therapist, both in the voluntary and statutory sectors. My voluntary experience has included being a volunteer call taker with Parentline Plus (a 24-hour confidential helpline for parents), a volunteer counsellor for The Place2Be (a charity providing mental health support to children in schools) and a volunteer therapist working with pupils, parents, and staff at a school in Stamford.
I have a special interest in ‘trauma and the nervous system’ and recently trained with Deb Dana, a clinician and consultant specializing in working with complex trauma. Guided by Polyvagal Theory, Deb trains therapists to understand and resolve the impact of trauma. Polyvagal Theory developed by Dr Stephen Porges focuses on what's happening in our body and our nervous system and explains how our sense of safety, or danger or threat, can impact how we think, feel and behave.
I’m passionate about service quality improvement, and since 2013 I’ve worked with voluntary and statutory sector services committed to improving their patients’ treatment experience and therapeutic outcomes.
Between 2016 and 2021, I held the post of Visiting Research Fellow with the Centre of Community Mental Health at Birmingham City University and worked with colleagues to create and support a service improvement learning collaborative for voluntary sector counselling and psychotherapy services. I’ve also independently developed tools to optimise the clinical use of outcome measurement and been an author on several academic publications.
- Practitioner Skills For Eating Disorders Diploma I 2022 I National Centre for Eating Disorders
- Core Process Psychotherapy Diploma in Mindfulness in Relationship I 2012 I Karuna Institute
- Master of Science in Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy I 2010 I Middlesex University
- Clinical Diploma in Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy I 2010 I Metanoia Institute, London
- Certificate in Transactional Analysis specializing in psychotherapy applications (a worldwide qualification) I 2009 I European Association of Transactional Analysis
Training (Some of it)
- Affective Confusion, Cumulative Trauma, and Attachment Disruptions: Psychotherapy for Borderline Disorders, Dr Richard G. Erskine I 2022 I nscience
- Ending the Flood of Shaming Self-Talk: How to effectively face up to the inner critic, Linda Graham I 2022 I nscience
- Engaging the Rhythm of Regulation: Foundations of Polyvagal Informed Practice Part 1 I 2021 I Deb Dana in collaboration with the Polyvagal Institute
- Attachment perspectives on Borderline Personality Disorder: Implications for therapy, Dr Gwen Adshead I 2021 I nscience
- CBT for Low Self Esteem I 2021 I Paul Grantham, BPS Approved
- Socratic Questioning for Eating Disorders and Obesity I 2021 I Paul Grantham, BPS Approved
- Eating Disorders and Obesity; 2-Day Master Class I 2021 I Bernie Wright, National Centre for Eating Disorders
- Compassionate Inquiry, Gabor Mate I 2021 I PESIUK
- Disordered Eating: Somatic, Self-Compassion, and Mindfulness Interventions for Lasting Recovery, Ann Safe Biasetti, Ph.D. I 2021 I PESIUK
- The Food Mood Connection: Nutrition Essentials for Mental Health, Dr Leslie Korn I 2021 I Mind Body Training Institute
- Dr Bessel van der Kolk on How the Body Keeps the Score: Intensive Trauma Treatment Course I 2020 I PESIUK
- Advanced Training for Trauma Treatment of Complex PTSD I 2020 I Arizona Trauma Institute
- Deb Dana’s Polyvagal Informed Therapy Master Class, with Stephen Porges I 2020 I PESIUK
- Clinical Applications of the Polyvagal Theory with Stephen Porges, PhD: Trauma, Attachment, Self-Regulation & Emotions I 2020 I PESIUK
- Certificate in Online and Telephone Counselling Course I 2020 I Accreditation by BACP, NCS, ACTO
- BPS Approved Certificate in Clinical Supervision I 2019 I The British Psychological Society London
- Foundation Training in CBT I 2014 I Dr Adrian Hemmings
- People, Personality & Disorder in Mental Health Care I 2010 I University of Lincoln
- Certificate in Further Counselling Skills I 2005 I LINK Centre, Sussex
I’m a professionally trained, qualified and experienced Psychotherapist and Certified Transactional Analyst (CTA P). I’m registered with the Humanistic and Integrative College of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) and a member of the United Kingdom of Association for Transactional Analysis (UKATA).
As a member of the UKCP, I’m committed to good practice, ethical conduct, and continuous learning and development. The UKCP register is accredited by the Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care, adding another layer of assurance.
I’m in regular clinical supervision, where I receive support and feedback on my client work from a senior colleague. This is a professional requirement of the UKCP Code of Ethics, to ensure I work in a manner which is safe and of most benefit to my clients.
I’m enhanced DBS checked and insured for private practice.